Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Winter Sowing Lantana


I'm trying winter sowing, (outside), for the first time this year. I had already started eleven containers including:

1- Foxglove, Candy Mountain
2 & 3- English Poppy
4- Foxglove Excelsior Mix
5- Blanketflower Gaillardia Aristata
6- Delphinium, Blue Bird
7- Delphinium, pacific Giants, Mixed color
8- Milkweed, Rose, Asclepias incarnata
9- Viola
10 & 11- Cosmos

Yesterday, I added a few more containers to that list and will try to continue adding others over the next several weeks.

12- Bellflower, Campanula carpatica -Blue
13- Lantana (This is just an experiment since I had plenty of seed. Considering this is zone 5, I doubt it will be successful.)
14- Columbine
15- Daisy Garden wildflower mix, (Black-eyed Susan, Blanket flower, Coreopsis, Cosmos, Shasta Daisy, Tricolor Chrysanthemum)

I also soaked and sowed lantana seeds, for growing inside under the grow lights. I've read mixed reviews about the ease, or rather difficulty, of propagating lantana from seed. I hope at least one method is successful.


9 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I can't wait to see how your winter sowing evolves. If successful I am gonna give it a go next year. I will plot out my seeds as your success is posted. I think it very exciting just thinking about it. What can I say I am easily entertained. ;)

nina at Nature Remains. said...

Lantana is lovely.
I saw it for the first time, believe it or not, this summer.
Good luck with your plan to grow it.

Unknown said...

Robin~Your pics are like a little piece of spring heaven! And you get to play in the dirt...I'm green with jealousy. I can't even start my winter sowing yet. My last frost date is 5/22! It's so far away :(

Please keep posting all your pretty pics and dirt stories until I can play in the dirt too.

Unknown said...

Oh, delicious, delicious lantana! A butterfly magnet if ever there was one...funny, because to me it smells SO bad, but I love the flowers, the jewellike colours make me gleeful, especially the real hot ones rather than the pastels.

Unknown said...

It's me again; you've won an award! See bloomingwriter for details, and heartfelt congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Good luck sowing the lantana, Robin. Here in Austin it's a perennial, and I've had it seed out in my garden. I adore the flowers, but it gets so large down here that I've had to pull all mine out or I wouldn't have room for anything else in my small garden.

Mary said...

Lantana is the flower I am always attracted to when I browse the nurseries. It's also a butterfly magnet. I'd love to fill my garden with it!

Carol Michel said...

I was glad to read you consider the Lantana an experiment. For a minute I thought you had forgotten that you don't live down south anymore! I hope it works out, though. That would be great!

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Hi, Lisa. I hope it will be as successful as it was last year. I love to experiment and try propagating different things.

Thank you, Nina. Lantana is great to use for attracting butterflies, which is why I love it.

Robbinscabin, thank you. It is a little early to sow many of my seeds too. I can't wait to sow the rest of them.

It is a butterfly magnet, Jodi, which is exactly why I love it so much. I had a HUGE lantana plant in Alabama, it was more like a shrub, it was wonderful.

I wish they were perennials here, Pam. They can get quite large. I had them to seed freely for me in Alabama too, but it wasn't bad. I tried to share them when I could.

Mary, they are great in drought conditions.

Carol, I haven't forgotten. This is a science experiment of sorts for me. I love the challenge of trying to grow something difficult, especially when the seeds are free. I figure, what have I got to loose?