Friday, November 9, 2007

Bird Watching

(Click to enlarge the collage)

Today was a great day for backyard birdwatching here at Robin's Nesting Place. It was a beautiful, crisp fall day and the birds flocked to my feeders. I've had birds this week that I've never seen before here. We live in a fairly new subdivision that was once a corn field, and there were very few mature trees in the area. When we first moved here from Alabama, I didn't think Indiana had any pretty birds because all I ever saw were geese, sparrows and blackbirds.

Anyway, I was delighted to finally see a chickadee, dark-eyed junco and a wren in the last two days. Today I saw the largest variety I've ever seen in one day here. There were blue jays, goldfinches, purple finches, wren, dark-eyed junco, chickadee, Canada geese, robin, sparrows by the hundreds, and one bird that I didn't even notice until I was photo editing. I have looked through several bird books and I can't figure out what it is.

My back neighbor is actually the one responsible for the wonderful bird population here today, he planted so many trees and shrubs when he first moved in that he barely has a lawn. I feed the birds and provide water but they take refuge in his yard. I've also planted a lot in my yard in the last two or three years, but things are still so small that they don't provide shelter for the birds yet. His plants grew pretty fast, hopefully mine will too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great collage!! I can't tell what the mystery bird is.
I can't believe you still have robins. I haven't seen one in months.

verobirdie said...

Great collage. Thank you for showing us the birds in your garden.
There are several birds in my garden today. I can see them clearly as the stong wind made the leaves fall. They are quite happy to find fat ball (they don't like the seeds in the feeders...) but I wonder how they can it. With the wind, the balls are moving a lot, but the birds don't seem to care. I have to figure out a way to take pictures.

Connie said...

What wonderful assortment of birds...and you have captured them beautifully. You are so fortunate to have a bird sanctuary next door!