Monday, September 10, 2007

September 10, 2007

A pollen covered bee on the sunflower.


A new butterfly species at Robin's nesting place. I think it may be a checkerspot or a crescentspot. I've looked in my National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Butterflies, and I can't tell for certain which one.



The goldfinches are starting to turn from their bright golden yellow to their winter colors. It's becoming more difficult to tell the male from the female.

This is the black swallowtail caterpillar as it is pupating. I took some video of it and tried to download it but the file was too large. It was so interesting to watch it wiggle and turn into a chrysalis. Today it is completely brown. Caterpillar number two pupated today and I missed it. Number three is still eating , but I noticed today that it too is becoming more restless.

I put out a new sock feeder today and the goldfinches flocked to it.



4 comments:

David said...

A similar butterfly has been hanging out in my yard the past few days. I'm with you, either a crescent or a checkerspot. They are both so similar. Great photos!

JANET said...

Wow! I love looking at your photos. You have a great eye and camera lens!

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

I see your having a lot of fun with your camera! Love that pic with all those goldfinches.

Shirley said...

Hi there, Robin

Fantastic photos :-)