Sunday, July 1, 2007

Hummingbird Moth

I had a hummingbird moth visit my butterfly and hummingbird garden yesterday. It loved the purple verbena and spent quite a bit of time going to each tiny flower. It flitted around so fast it was impossible for me to get a good picture.



I had my usual two hummingbird visitors and finally got a picture of the male Ruby Throated hummingbird. He is quite a bit faster than the female and quickly flies away at the slightest movement, so he has been more difficult to capture. The red on his throat gleams so brightly when the sun hits it, like a big sparkly ruby.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those pictures of hummingbirds. Great stuff here on your blog.

Annie in Austin said...

You caught him in midair, Robin - nice photo! I see them on our Verbena bonariensis, too.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Love both the hummingbird and the humming moth. Excellent pics. Wish we had hummingbirds over here! Last year I saw a humming moth in my garden for the first time. They are very rare over here so I was over the moon spotting one. :-)

Rosemarie said...

Those are cool. I saw a hummingbird moth last summmer and we thought it was the real thing. I just got a hummingbird feeder that I set up, but no takers yet. I like yours, it's pretty.

Kylee Baumle said...

Robin, I just saw a hummingbird moth for the first time this week! I thought it was a mutant bumblebee! LOL! Nice, nice photo you got of it! They are NOT still things, are they?

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Fantastic pictures. I can never get that much detail.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Thak you all for the kind comments and for dropping in for a visit.

Anonymous said...

My friend Lana and I saw our first hummingbird moth in my garden yesterday! We too, are southern transplants living in the NW Chicago suberbs! Thanks for the photo!

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

I live in Québec Canada and for two years I have seen a hummingbird moth and didn't know what is was....nobody had seen them before...they came back this year ...I'm very happy to have identify it...thats...