Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Blueberry Breakfast Smoothie

While they are in season, I've been stocking up on blueberries and freezing them. Blueberries are considered brain food because they are supposed to help with memory and even have anti-aging effects. I need that! They are very high in antioxidants and are so good for us. In my quest to eat healthier, I've been eating (or drinking) blueberries everyday.
I love smoothies for breakfast and after burning up so many blenders I finally decided to get a Vitamix, hopefully it will last a long time.

Here is my breakfast smoothie "recipe".

1 cup of orange juice (I like to use high pulp in smoothies)
frozen blueberries (a handful)
frozen grapes (a handful)
4-5 frozen strawberries
1 small frozen banana (I peel and freeze my bananas)
flax seed, ( I grind fresh daily)
honey, (according to taste)
3-4 ice cubes

Place ingredients in the blender, minus the flax seed, blend on high. Add ground flax seed and blend on high for a few seconds until it's mixed. (I don't like the texture if the ground flax seed is in the whole time.)

I use a variety of fruit, this morning I added fresh pineapple, a few days ago I used watermelon. Sometimes I buy bags of mixed fruit and use that and I will occasionally add wheat germ. You can also vary this however you choose using different sweeteners or none at all .

4 comments:

Nan said...

This sounds heavenly! I'm going to put your recipe in my email folder. I think I would use yogurt (plain which we make ourselves), too.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Nan, yogurt works too, I haven't used it in a while but when I first started making smoothies I always used it.

Jedid said...

Hi Robin,
Your recipes sound amazing!! I used to make smoothies too, but then with Salba seeds.. You shoudl try this muffin recipe.
The ingredients are:
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
66g of Salba
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 cup applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup of honey or agave syrup
1 cup dried cranberries

Mix the first 5 ingredients in 1 bowl and the others in a second bowl. Then, mix them both together, and put the muffins in the oven for (300°) for 25 minutes.
I am sure you will like it!!
Jedid.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

jedid, thanks for the recipe, I have never heard of salba seeds, I'll have to do a search to get information on them.