Saturday, April 7, 2007

My Winter Growing System

I had an indoor growing system about 10 years ago and enjoyed starting my plants from seed, I thought I would try to do it again this year. The start-up cost was minimal compared to the lighting systems in the seed catalogs. The shelving unit was $39.00 and the shop lights were about $10.00 to $12.00 each plus the cost of lights. For the lights I used one warm light and one cool light. Next year I will be able to do this for very little cost especially if I collect seed from my plants, propagate from cuttings and buy peat pots at the end of the season on clearance.

I started some of my plants on February 24 and the rest on the 27th. I planted Coleus, Purple Wave Petunias, Dianthus, Pampas grass, Impatiens, Moonflowers, Purple Prince Zinnias, and Victorian Mix Dahlias.



I covered the unit with thick plastic to create more of a green house effect. It really kept the temperature warmer and helped keep the plants from drying out so quickly.


I was shocked at how quickly things germinated, especially the coleus.



1 comment:

inadvertent farmer said...

This is great Robin! What a perfect set up for seedlings...I will have to make something like this, thanks! Kim